Tuesday, June 18, 2013

NYC, Part 3

Monday we headed over to Chinatown because I wanted a bigger shoulder strap bag than I am currently carrying. The backpack I brought, though small is a gym type bag with string/rope straps and they are uncomfortable for carrying heavier items.   We took things slow before getting ready because we are trying to pace ourselves. Actually I'm raring to go but Jerry wants to pace ourselves. He's used to the retired life now so he's missing his daily down time. 

We had a problem with the plumbing in our apt so we got a very late start waiting for maintenance to fix it.  About 2:30 or so we mapped our route on the bus to go to Chinatown. We are never 100% sure if we are on the right bus or subway and always ask others for confirmation we are headed in the right direction.  We boarded the bus and Jerry was still asking if we were on the right route. I punched him and said look around, we are obviously on the right bus everyone on the bus was Asian. There were lots of elementary school kids riding too. I wonder if riding the city bus is how kids go to school here. It could be since they were not in their local area that they were students from one of the special schools here. I found out that there are several, I guess what we would refer to as magnet schools in Manhattan. You have to be tested and score at a particular level to be admitted to these schools. Anyway, there were several kids on this particular bus, doing what kids do on school busses, jumping around, kicking at one another, out of their seats, giggling. I almost, without thinking jumped up and reprimanded them. I remembered I am on vacation, not in work mode. They were off the bus soon and so were we.

We planned to have lunch in Chinatown at one of the places on my list.  We were hungry so we planned to eat before the shopping adventure, which in Chinatown is a tiring adventure.  The weather forecast was 0% chance of rain so for once we decided not to carry our jackets and umbrellas. About five minutes after we got off the bus the bottom fell out. We hurried to the nearest sidewalk with construction because the scaffolds cover the sidewalks in those places.  We were trying to decide if we would wait out the storm or waste money on a cab. We knew the restaurant couldn't be far.  A gentleman told us there was a store at the end of the scaffold so Jerry ran in to buy two umbrellas. While he was in the store an Asian young lady asked me where Bayard Street was located. I'm guilty of stereotyping because my first thought is I'm a Georgia tourist in Chinatown and this Asian girl is asking me for directions.  How does she not know the way.?  I told her I was a tourist and asked if she also was a tourist. She said she had lived in NY her entire life but she was from Queens so she didn't know where she was either. She had a notepad and had google maps up trying to figure out her destination. We began to talk, and learned that she is currently a freshman at Dartmouth University in New Hampshire, but she had graduated from Stuyvesant High School in Tribecca. This is one of those schools I mentioned earlier. Someone a day or so ago had mentioned to me it was the best in Manhattan and only the brightest were admitted. I told her I knew she must be brilliant if she attended that high school. I asked her if she commuted alone on the subway each day and she told me she did. We talked about how kids commute alone on the subways. I can't imagine. We seem so much more protective of our kids. Again I guess it's no different than putting our 16 year old in a car alone. It's just a different world that is hard to imagine. This young girl's name was Tiffany and she shared that as I required Meaghan to call me all the time, she also had to call her mom to check in too.  


I offered to let her walk with me under my umbrella since we were headed in the same direction. She was meeting her high school guidance counselor for lunch while she was home for the summer.  We parted ways and walked on looking for our restaurant. I've shopped multiple times in Chinatown, always in the same general area where you buy knock off purses, etc. however the bus drop off was in another area. I knew Chinatown was big but it is so much bigger when you are walking it than when on a double decker bus. It's truly an amazing place to see. You feel like you are in Asia. They are speaking their native language, selling fruits, vegetables and other items I've never seen before. It was neat to walk through the section that wasn't just the hub for selling illegal knockoffs. As we walked we came on a park, Columbus Park, where all the signs were all written in what I believe was Chinese. 


Even though the area is Chinatown, there are many more Asian groups living there than Chinese. The park experience was something to behold. Inside the park were multiple little groups huddled around tables or benches. They were grouped by men and women, with neither of the groups mixed with the other sex. They were all playing games. The men were playing what appeared to be some sort of Chinese chess or checkers. The women were playing cards. Jerry said they were playing poker. Under the pavilion was loud Chinese music playing and it appeared there were big groups of men engaged in games there too. They were all oblivious to the tourists snapping their pictures.

We finally found the restaurant that I had on my list from my Frommer's book. Authentic it was for sure with huge roasted ducks hanging in the front window with heads still attached. It was old and decorated just like a Chinese restaurant. 



We sat down and tried to ask our waiter what was good. It was a funny experience trying to converse with him. It's obvious living in NY working in Chinatown doesn't require these residents to learn much English. According to my Frommer's book this is a local place that many Chinese families frequent.  We wanted to try something different instead of our same Chinese dishes we always order at home. We opted for Cantonese noodles with pork.  It was pork, not cat I know the difference in taste. Lol. Although, if you are one of those people who doesn't eat Asian food because you are convinced its some other type of domesticated animal that is served, you might want to avoid eating in Chinatown.  Me on the other hand, I'm really not picky about food. I like most of it. I was skeptical though about the dish our waiter recommended with squid and fish cakes. I wasn't that brave. 



After lunch we made our way to Mott street to wait to be approached to buy the "secret" merchandise. It only took one step onto Mott Street before a young man approached me "you want Micha Koah (Michael Kors) purse. I showed him a picture on my phone of a Michael Kors watch Meaghan wanted me to get. The adventure began as he whispered to stay a few feet behind him and follow him. He occasionally looked back to see if I was following. He then passed me off to another woman who guided us down a side street. In the past they would take you in a store as you go behind a secret door to a room full of purses. It isn't that easy any more. Now they pull out a paper with pictures from under their shirt and show you picture all the while looking frantically around for law enforcement. I told them I had to see the merchandise.  A few minutes later they were back with the watch in a plastic sleeve. It looked good. Now was time for the bargaining. We did well, if it will truly hold up.  It's heavy and looked real to me. Next we asked for purses. I told the guy I wanted to go in a room to see all the purses. He said "follow me". So we went tracking up and down several blocks. Jerry was complaining by now about how stupid this Was. I said "give it up, I'm getting my purse". We finally enter a store go around the corner in the tiny store and the wall opens up and tons of white women come out of the wall. I had to stand and wait for them to finish and then Jerry and I were led down steep, dark steps to what seemed like a dark basement cave. Then.....there they were in all their glory, Michael Kors, Gucci, Coach, you name it. I walked away with two Michael Kors after much bartering. Then Jerry told him he needed some Rayban aviator glasses. By this time our cash was dwindling. Of course they walk you straight to an ATM. This ATM requires you to scan your card just to go in and get money. It locks others out while you are getting money. Jerry got more cash then we bartered for two pair of sunglasses. By this time Jerry had had it. I wanted a watch too but he said I had to wait until our last week here and if we had any money left I could get one. If not, forget it. That's his way of telling me don't spend anymore if you want it.

After Chinatown we rested a little while and decided to walk the other direction down Water Street where our Apt is located. We were looking for Stone street because it is a small street with Cafes and tables in the cobblestone streets. 


We realized how close we were to Battery Park and the Staton Island Ferry. They are just down the street. We found a pizza restaurant and ordered pizza. It was yummy.  The pizzas in NYC are made in a wood fire oven which makes for a crispy crust.

Today (Tuesday) we started the day as usual with our breakfast in the lounge. We usually take our iPads and watch TV and FB and I write for my blog. We take our time before we head out for the day. We are getting tired at this pace and we have to find some more things that are relaxing. We thought we would go to Central Park today but the it started to rain AGAIN, so that was out of the question.  When we left the apt we rode the subway to Brooklyn first to go to the TkTs booth to get matinee tickets for tomorrow. At the Brooklyn location you can purchase matinee tickets the day before the performance. Besides Brooklyn is closer for us since we are down in the financial district. There is also a Discount booth at South Seaport right by our apt, but it's still closed from Hurricane Sandy damage.  We purchased tickets for Phantom of the Opera. I hope I will like it. It was Jerry's choice and cheaper than the others that were for sale. I've received contradicting opinions about it. Either people love it or hate it. So far I've seen 5 Broadway shows and I've loved them all. I hope this one continues my love of Broadway shows.

After our Brooklyn stop we caught another subway, made a transfer at some point and rode all the way up to the upper East side. It's neat how every neighborhood in NYC has its own personality and is almost like being in a different city.   The upper East side is where the elite and extremely rich reside.  The only celebrities that live there are the insanely rich and famous, like Madonna. The others live in other nice areas of Manhattan. The atmosphere is typical of the residents living there. There are many town cars or black cars as they appear to me. All the fancy cars seem to be black.  Most apartment buildings have doormen dressed in typical doorman attire. The buildings have signs that say "all visitors must be announced". There are nice stores like Bloomingdales, Barney's, etc. 


I didn't get to walk much of Madison Ave today because of the rain, but I want to go back on a nice day to walk Madison Ave up on the East side.  This is the most expensive shopping area in Manhattan. I want to celebrity stalk, so I have to return.  We specifically went today to take a ride on the Roosevelt Island Tram. I had riden before and wanted Jerry to see the great view this four minute ride provides across the East River to the small island called Roosevelt Island.  

Here's a link to Jerry's YouTube video. 

Roosevelt Island was once an island that housed housing projects. Now they are mostly condos and apts. We enjoyed the ride. You can ride the tram by using the same metro card used for the subway or bus. It is used by the residents and people take the same big items over just like on the subway. I've seen bikes, furniture, musical instruments and pets on the subway. Once we got to RI we walked down the riverfront path and found a bench with a great view of Manhattan and the river. 


We had packed a picnic lunch of sandwiches so we enjoyed our lunch with a view. As we sat there it became overcast and a few drops began to sprinkle around us. I didn't want to be on the tram in a storm so we made our way back over for another four minute view. From there we strolled back down the street to Dylan's Candy Bar. This store is owned by Ralph Lauren's daughter and its three stories of every kind of candy you can imagine.


You can even find candy you grew up eating as a child. I found the wax coke bottles full of colored sugar water,  lick-a-sticks, Mary Janes, chick-o-sticks, candy cigarettes, and more. Jerry found candy he remembered that I had never heard of like  Bonomo Turkish Taffy and teaberry gum. 


He is older than I am and he grew up in another part of the country so we have different memories.  We only purchased a small bag of things to taste since candy isn't something we can eat well.  


We had planned to have dessert at Serendipity 3 since we did the major subway stair master today, but the wait was longer than we cared to wait for something we didn't need anyway. By that time the rain was coming down heavier. We walked toward the west side to find the big Apple clear cube store. Jerry wants to visit all the neat Apple stores. 


That place was packed with people. Not only did they have a store full of customers, there were more employees in one store than I had ever seen in a retail store. If you have ever been to the Apple store you know they have lots of people working in there. Magnify that by a gazillion and that's what this store looked like. 


We left there and walked a little further in the rain and found the Plaza Hotel. It was on my list so we took shelter in the lobby from the rain. Since we were occupying their chairs where drinks were being ordered I felt compelled to order at least a diet coke. 


That small bottle of coke costs $7.00.  Good thing we had a picnic lunch. By now we were hungry. We have a favorite place we wanted to go that was on the upper west side. The restaurant is simple but good. We really enjoyed it on our last trip. The restaurant just moved to a new location this week. The name of it is Good Enough to Eat.  


We walked further in the rain and caught a very crowded bus in the middle of afternoon traffic.  It was just our luck the bus drop point was right in front of the old location. We walked about two or three blocks to the new location, still in the rain. Luckily we remembered our umbrellas this time. Too bad I didn't have my cute new rain coat. We finally arrived and enjoyed fried chicken and mashed potatoes with gravy, salad and sautéed kale. Watermelon slices were also included with the special. We shared a plate and drank water. That's our money saving tip too, drinking water at restaurants. We drink diet coke when we are back in our apt. After dinner we were both tired. I sure wasn't up for subway riding or bus riding especially with the rain. We checked Jerry's phone app that gives estimated cab fares. It gave a figure of $28 so we hiked to the subway, made transfers from the 1 train to the 2 train and finally made it to Wall Street. Once back in our apt we made our own ice coffee. We brought down some milk from breakfast as well as equal packets and brewed a pot of coffee this morning and chilled it while we were gone. Everyone here drinks iced coffee and all I have to do is see it and then I want it. We bought one the other night and enjoyed so we decided to save $7 and make our own. It was pretty good too.

Tomorrow we will go to see Phantom of the Opera and I will post more later.


Cindy Pafford

No comments:

Post a Comment