Monday, June 17, 2013

New York City - UPDATE

Since I last blogged we've done so much I have to write again before I forget the details.  

Thursday was a wet and cold day in NYC. We were exhausted from the busy day before so we took our time getting ready and finally ventured out in the afternoon to Chelsea Market. It was on my list of things to do and we figured it was a good indoor place to avoid the rain. We packed  our rain jackets and umbrellas and made our way over to CM. Chelsea Market is the home of the 
Food Network and the Oxygen Network. However you can't see tapings of shows there.  There are many Cafes, food stores, bakery's, etc inside the building which used to be the old Nabisco plant. Jerry used his subway app to get directions  and we also double checked with the concierge here at the apt. We've learned quickly they are not knowledgeable like hotel concierges. They basically google and give those answers, like we can't do that. Once on the subway I realized both Jerry and the  concierge had the wrong directions because we were on our way up to the Bronx. The girl you saw in the picture that was sleeping on the subway woke up and helped us find our way back. We ended up at Penn Station and had to make transfers to a different train. NYers are an excellent source of help on the subways. They usually notice tourists that need help and immediately ask "where are you going?"  They have never failed us when we were lost. Once at Chelsea Market we were hungry for lunch. We walked through eyeballing all the good cafes before choosing one that looked tasty. We ate at Freedman's and shared a cup of two bean turkey chili and fish tacos. Both were good. Afterwards we wandered around looking in the shops and bakeries. We noticed  a coffee shop with a hallway behind it. Jerry walked back to see if it was where Food Network offices were housed. I happen to look at this small group of people chatting and noticed that the man chatting was Iron Chef Michael Symon who is also on The Chew. I didn't know his name immediately but knew who he was. Jerry told me his name. I started snapping pictures. No way was I going to mess up like I did when I saw Valerie Harper and Susan Lucci and not get pictures.  In a few minutes he walked away with these people. One guy with him got his attention and pointed back to us. Michael walked over shook my hand and I told him we were fans. He gave me a big hug and said "you are not from NY are you?". I told him yes and he laughed and said "no you are not". He shared that his mother is from Dalton, Ga. He was so nice and let Jerry snap a picture of us together.  Jerry said he was jealous because he's the Food Network fan and he didn't get his picture with him. This was one time I was glad to have my southern accent. It got his attention. 


After leaving Chelsea we rode the subway to Times Square thinking we might sit and enjoy the scenery.  Usually sitting in TS is one of our favorite things to do in NYC.   If you have ever visited TS you know there are  many crazy people in that area. With the high volume of tourists you get the crazies trying to get handouts and attention.   Although it seems like there are so many more there than other places, I think every place has troubled people. The volume seems higher because of the foot traffic and high number of people in general.  I hesitate to describe what happened next because not only is it gross but it also isn't a topic anyone would feel comfortable describing.   However, I want to document all my experiences because with any vacation there are  usually those disappointing events that take place.  When we exited the train at the TS subway station we spotted an escalator which is rare at most subway stations. While riding up the escalator a man was riding in front of us but instead of facing forward he was turned around staring straight at me while putting his hand down his pants in his behind. I wondered if he was turned around thinking no one noticed. Jerry was close behind me so I turned my head sideways to say something to him. When I turned my head back forward this crazy man was trying to put his hand in my face. I immediately reacted a screamed for him to get away from me. Jerry also told him to get away. He then said gross things and proceeded to put his hands in his mouth. Needless to say that really changed my desire to hang in TS. It unnerved me and made me sick.  We walked on and found a seat in TS and immediately it began to pour down rain. We took shelter in the Marriott Marque in their lobby. While searching for a seat we ended up sitting at stable with a couple from Connecticut (The Migdol's).
We enjoyed about an hour of conversation with them and promised to meet again via Facebook.   We finally made our way back to our apt and had a few blocks to walk in the rain.

On Friday we decided to try the bus instead of the subway. A metro card gets you both on the subway and the bus. We wanted to ride above ground to see more of the city. Jerry used his phone app for bus directions to Bryant Park.  We visited Bryant Park three years ago and loved it so we wanted to return.  We discovered the bus stop was just a few feet from our apt.  While on the bus we met a young woman who heard us discussing where to get off the bus. She quickly chimed in and ask where we were headed. We began conversing with her. We didn't get her picture but she shared her name and number and told us to call her if we needed help with directions. Her name was Zina and she is a culinary tour guide. She said she would be glad to help and not charge us a thing. She also suggested we travel to Inwood park which is at the North west end of Manhattan. She said she thinks it is the most beautiful park in the city, even more beautiful than Central Park. If that's the case we will definitely check it out. Dumb me I thought Harlem was as far as Manhattan went North.
We made it to Bryant Park and really enjoyed the ride above ground with no subway stairs to climb.   While at Bryant park I took advantage of the clean bathrooms with the cool toilet seat covers that I posted on FB. There was a program going on in the park to celebrate the 238th birthday of the US Army.    
Jerry posted videos from the celebration.  One of the wonderful things about NY is that there is food everywhere. Anything you want is available every few steps. Of course it's all available with high prices. Even the cheapest food is expensive. We walked across a little side street a few steps from the park to Pax Wholefoods and got salads for picnicking in the park. Two salads with one small bag of pita chips and no drinks was $19. We enjoyed our salads sitting in the park. The parks are also full of entertainment with people lying in the sun on the lawn, hula hooping, reading from the outdoor reading room (umbrellas set up with portable bookshelves full of books), riding the carousel, playing chess or ping pong. Bryant Park is located behind the NY Library, hence the outdoor reading room. Bryant Park is one of my favorite places to hang out.  It's also close to Fifth Ave. which is a shopping heaven. 


We visited the NY Library after chilling in the park, then walked up Fifth Ave, stopping at Joe Fresh for shopping before we reached St Patrick's Cathedral.  Joe Fresh was recommended by the nutritionist that works with my surgeon. She told me the prices were good and they had cute clothes. Her friend is the marketing person that did all their decor. I really liked the shop and bought a few things at reasonable prices. St Patrick's Cathedral was hugely disappointing because it is under so much construction that the entire outside and most of the inside is obstructed by scaffolds.  We walked from there over to Rockefeller Center.  While there we indulged in another treat from my list. We split red velvet cheesecake from Magnolia Bakery.  

This is the second time I've had this glorious piece of tasty heaven. Sometimes a second chance at something wonderful is a let down. This was not the case. Instead it was even better than the first time I tried it. It was after this indulgence that Jerry and I committed to no sweets except on weekends while in NYC.  Friday night we stayed in our apt and had grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner. 

On Saturday we planned to go over to what we thought was Greenwich Village to have breakfast at a place I had on my list from the show The Best Thing I Ever ate.  It was actually in the East Village instead. We started our trip with a bus ride again. We went to the bus stop to wait on the next bus. A lady joined us on the bench to wait for the bus. I greeted her with a simple "good morning" and she immediately said "you must be a tourist".  I guess my accent is a dead give away every time. She told me it wasn't the accent, but the fact that I greeted her. She said NYers don't speak. She was raised between NY and North Carolina and said southerners were always so polite. Although we have found NYers to be very helpful,  I have noticed they don't speak to one another on the subway or bus. They tend to speak to tourists to help and will converse if you initiate conversation, but don't greet one another.  On the subway most have an iPhones with earphones and they either zone everyone out, sleep or read. They don't even seem to notice their surroundings. I guess it's similar to our autopilot as we drive home after a long day at work. It's my understanding too that NYers work all the time and live a very fast paced life except on vacation. One girl we met on the bus told me it is necessary for them to get away for a vacation just to be able  function with the busy, fast lifestyle. The lady we met at the bus stop was so friendly conversing with us all the way to our stop. Since we were getting off at the same place, she directed us to our destination. Her name was Jazzie Thomas, an unusual name for an older woman.

 We wouldn't have planned to go to this restaurant if we had realized it was in the East Village because most of the shops in the EV are closed on Friday afternoons and Saturdays because there is a large Jewish population in that area. EV is right next to Greenwich so it is hard to determine where one begins and another ends. Even so our restaurant was open. I wanted to go there for the blueberry blintzes.  When we got there we saw it was a vegetarian restaurant. We are definitely not vegetarians, even more so now because we are supposed to eat a high protein diet. We ate their anyway. This was the smallest place I've ever seen. The name of the place was B&H Dairy. 


It was old and "tree hugger" friendly. The lower east side used to be the sketchy, scary part of town with many immigrants living there working hard to get out of that part of town. Now the children of the people who worked hard to get out of there are coming back on purpose. It is the new hipster area with lots of young, artsy types. It definitely has that feel too with lots of graffiti, vegetarian restaurants and multiple restaurants from every ethnicity. If you notice in the pictures I posted there were several kinds of different restaurants. Of course this area is still home to many Jewish people. Anyway we ate lentil soup and blueberry blintzes. They were both ok.   Afterwards we took a walk that I had on my list of one of the prettiest walks in the city. We walked 4th St from the East Village, through Greenwich Village to the West Village. It was a beautiful walk with tree lined streets, Cafes and shops along the way. We stopped for awhile in Washington Square Park. As I said earlier the parks in NYC are one of our favorite things. We always stop at everyone we pass. In WSP we spotted a Mennonite choir from Lancaster Pennsylvania. 


They were singing and preaching in the park. It was nice to hear some old hymns I haven't heard in a long time like Power in the Blood and Redeemed. They sang with no music, but had nice harmony. God bless those people for trying in this city. I sure hope they didn't pass the man we had just seen a few minutes before the park that was crazy out of his mind swearing profusely with the "F" bomb. I can imagine being in NYC was an eye opening experience for them.   Since being in NYC I've tried to not forget about my daily time with God. While on vacation it's easy to be selfish and only think about what you want to do. I've been in thought and prayer about what I can do when given opportunity while in NyC to bless someone else. There are so many in need everywhere, but they stand out in the city. With that being said I found it ironic that I listened to the Mennonites praise God on one side of the park and walked to the other side to see a group of young people wearing devil horns and then witnessed what I think could have been some drug trafficking.  It was a true reflection to me of what goes on in the spiritual world and the kind of warfare between the two spiritual beings. Evils is always present trying to war against the Holy Spirit. Thank God I know who has already won the war.  The park was full of people lying in the sun and playing in the fountain. The weather was absolutely perfect. We continued our walk stopping again for a rest at a small  spot of green with trees and benches. As we sat down another "not so sane" man came over to us for a handout. He said he had not eaten in a month, but he really didn't look malnourished. He mumbled and shared he had been homeless for four years and was HIV positive and had Aids. He looked healthy to me except for all the teeth missing from his mouth. Drugs rot your teeth so I am pretty sure why he was "not so sane". He also told me God was his best friend and then said he used to live in Atlanta where he had PCP pneumonia (whatever that is).  This is when it's hard to know how to help someone. I tried to listen to the Holy Spirit for direction, but I'm skeptical about giving money for someone to buy more drugs. Jerry gave him a few dollars and we hope he did eat food, not drugs.  I thought about it later and thought I should have prayed with him instead. We walked on and finally made it to the West Village.  By this time we were definitely in need if meat after that vegetarian brunch. The West Village is beautiful and many celebrities live there as the real estate is very expensive. Everywhere we turned we saw vegetarian restaurants. A guy overheard us discussing that we didn't want vegetarian and directed us down the street to a Greek diner. He said its a greasy spoon and good. That was right up our alley.

Saturday evening we met up with Augusta folks for dinner. Meaghan's third grade teacher and a former co-worker of mine, Kathie Treado and her husband Dennis were in town so we decided to have dinner together.  We decided to eat Italian at a Brooklyn Heights neighborhood favorite, Armando's.  It was also on my list. We took the subway from Wall Street over to Brooklyn Heights. It was so easy to get there. Actually going to Brooklyn from here is easier than going uptown in Manhattan. By the way we have discovered we love Brooklyn, at least the parts we've seen so far. Brooklyn is huge and we have only been to a very small section. Brooklyn Heights is wonderful. It's the most expensive neighborhood in Brooklyn and like I said on Facebook, I want to move there when I inherit millions. The neighborhood is quiet with beautiful homes, tree lined streets and lots of Cafes and restaurants in walking distance. It is very friendly and everyone is outdoors. At the end of the streets is the Promenade which gives a killer view of Manhattan. While strolling the streets dreaming of living there we were greeted by a friendly 85 year old woman sitting on the stoop of her home. She shared her story of inheriting her home from her "daddy" who was a Mormon and shared that he had worked for Mayor La Guardia. 


We chatted for awhile and she invited us to drop by again before we leave. Her name is Pete Valentine and she is also in our pictures of Brooklyn Heights. We finally walked to the restaurant where we enjoyed a nice Italian dinner with the Treado's. 



Sundays are always a favorite for us in NYC because we get to attend church at Brooklyn Tabernacle.  If you aren't familiar with their choir, you need to look them up and listen. This church started by basically rescuing crazy, drug addicts off the streets. Now it is housed in what was the largest theater in Brooklyn with 4000 seats. They also have overflow across the street for those who don't get there in time for a seat. They have three services on Sunday too.  The choir just sang for the presidential inauguration. It is huge and powerful, not just in sound, but in spirit. It has a diverse population with multiple nationalities represented in the congregation. We always get there an hour early to get in and get a seated. Yesterday we had to stand in a line that wrapped the building to get in and get a seat. The service didn't disappoint. As a matter of fact I believe this was the best service I've  attended to date. The praise and worship was great. The choir sang great songs, singing my absolute favorite BTC song. We realized that three years ago when we were at BT we were also there on Father's Day. 


The service was so moving and for some reason it spoke to me from beginning to end. For those of you raised in COGOP you will understand when I say it was like an old assembly service. The music was Pentecostal with tambourines and a great dancing in the spirit rhythm. It brought to mind a memory of being with my dad at the general assembly and staying late to hear and watch the Bahama Brass Band. It was a sweet blessing that the music triggered a fond memory of my dad on Father's Day.   After church we walked through downtown Brooklyn to eat at a favorite, Juniors. We enjoyed a great lunch of real food (BBQ chicken, potatoes, salad). Something that's a staple at many diners and delis in NYC is a pickled slaw, beets and dill pickles. All three are included with every meal. They have a different flavor than I'm used to, but I like it.

After we returned to our apt we finally decided to explore the back side of our building since the river is right behind us. We had no idea we were sitting so close to South Seaport. We have a view of Brooklyn and the Statue of Liberty. We are more pleased with the location of our apt daily. We walked up to Manhattans only mall at Pier 17 on the water. There are lots of shops and Cafes there too outside the mall. 


The mall isn't great, but they have porches all around with chairs with great views of the water, Brooklyn, the bridges and boats. We chilled there for a few hours soaking in the view and while I wrote for my blog. We ended up having dinner afterwards in our apt. We ate our Italian leftovers from the night before.

This morning we've spent the morning on the rooftop deck, chilling, eating our continental breakfast.  We plan to clean the apt today and then head to Chinatown for shopping, lunch and the experience. More to come later.


Cindy Pafford

No comments:

Post a Comment