Saturday, August 3, 2013

Reflections on Life in New York City

I'm taking a moment to reflect on my summer trip to NYC. I was so glad to be home after a long, exciting trip. However, I already miss the Big Apple. I feel that addiction rising up again every time I see a TV show, picture, news story, etc with something about the city. I know living there is a dream that has passed me by, but I do hope to visit many more times especially now that I feel like it's been a second home for me.  I miss that feeling of excitement that I felt every time I walked out the door to the streets at the beginning of each day. I miss eating anything and everything and still losing weight because of the constant walking.  I miss being able to exercise by walking and seeing interesting things without the monotony of the gym.  I miss the shopping. The shopping from designer shops to the cheapest ghetto shops was the best shopping ever.  There are so many great shopping opportunities. I miss the lights and the people (not the tourist). I miss the need for iced coffee. I miss the spectacular views, the places to visit, the diversity. 


I am happy to be home, but the best thing about vacation is escaping the everyday stressors of life. It's nice to focus on fun and exciting things and forget all the things that keep me awake worrying about things that don't really matter. Though wonderful and memorable, vacation also makes us long for our home and routine. There truly is no place like home, but you can't appreciate it fully until you leave it for awhile. Who invented vacations?  I think it must have been God to help us regroup and appreciate what we already have while also loving where we are visiting. I am so blessed to have had the opportunity to have such a great 50th birthday gift. Thanks to my husband for tagging along and agreeing to my dream vacation. I don't know of any other place I could have visited in one month and literally traveled the world.   I hope to travel to NYC many more times before I'm too old to enjoy it. I think the next phase of my life might include being a NYC tour guide taking others on trips to the Big Apple. 



Cindy Pafford

1 comment:

  1. Hey!

    I hope NYC is treating you well! Looks like you're really making a dent in your bucket list! Anyways, I would like to nominate you for a Liebster as well, since I really enjoy your blog.

    Hope you're having a great long weekend!

    -K

    ReplyDelete